Jul 18, 2024  
2022-2023 Graduate Catalog 
2022-2023 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Registrar’s Office

Sharee’ J. Lawrence, Registrar
134 C. V. Troup Administration Building

Mission and Philosophy Statement

The Office of the Registrar staff are crossed-trained to assist students with all matters regarding enrollment to the University. The Office of the Registrar supports the instructional demands and the student academic endeavors of the University by providing quality services to students, faculty, academic and administrative departments, and our external customers.  Quality is the first priority for the Office of the Registrar and efficiency is key to that quality. The Office of the Registrar puts a premium on service and will continually strive to improve our services.

In support of the University’s philosophy, student centered, the Office of the Registrar provides leadership in maintaining and protecting academic records.  The Office of the Registrar is a customer centered organization whose mission is to preserve academic integrity; ensure adherence to academic policy; safeguard the security of academic records; provide course and classroom management and provide student information and data reporting for internal and external constituencies of the University. The Office does this in a diverse environment utilizing advanced technology and a legacy of commitment in order to create, apply and disseminate knowledge.

Other functions associated with the Registrar’s Office include, but are not limited to:

•End-of-term grading process

•Processing of grade changes

•Publication and dissemination of semester course offerings

•Complete academic calendar

•Certifying Veteran Educational Benefits

•Enrollment and degree verification

•Transcript processing

•Create and distribute official university diplomas

Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm


MyFVSU gives students at Fort Valley State University the ability to access their personal and academic information via the internet. Students are able to view grades, transcripts, degree requirements, schedules, holds, account balances, financial aid information and much more.

Transcript Request

A current, recent or former student may request and pay for an official transcript online.  Fort Valley State University has retained Credentials Inc. to accept transcripts orders over the Internet at https://www.credentials-inc.com/tplus/?ALUMTRO001566. Also, you may visit the Registrar’s Office web page for instructions on requesting and paying for transcripts online at http://www.fvsu.edu/transcripts.


As grades become available for the mid-term and the end of the semester, students are able to access through MyFVSU. If a grade is unavailable at the initial check, continue to check on a regular basis. Once all grades have been reported students will retrieve their grade point averages and academic standing through the web. Please note that grade reports, academic probation/suspension/dismissal letters are not mailed, your status is available online. Academic Suspension/Academic Dismissal will not be waived due to a student’s lack of knowledge of his or her standing. It is the responsibility of the student to know his or her academic standing, which can be accessed via MyFVSU. Students who fail to check their grades or academic status are not exempt by not knowing. An academic appeal is not in conjunction with a financial aid appeal. You may retrieve a copy of the financial aid appeal from the FVSU Website or for additional details please contact the Financial Aid Office at 478-825-6363.

Enrollment/Degree Verifications

Fort Valley State University has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to act as an agent to provide enrollment and degree verifications.

Enrollment Verifications

The National Student Clearinghouse is the official authorized certifying agent for Fort Valley State University enrollment verifications.  The Office of the Registrar cannot verify enrollment until registration activities have been finalized each semester.  A current official enrollment certificate is available to a student through his/her MyFVSU around the second week of school.  All previous enrollments at the university are also available. 

To obtain an enrollment certificate, a student should log into his/her MyFVSU account and follow the links below to gain access to the National Student Clearinghouse website.

•        Student Services

•        Student Records

•        National Student Clearinghouse Student Self-Service

•        National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) website

•        Obtain an Enrollment Certificate

A certificate for military purposes will continue to be prepared in the Registrar’s Office.

New students are eligible for a “good student” letter at the end of their first semester of attendance.  GPA will be available two weeks after a new students’ first semester.

Degree Verifications 

The National Student Clearinghouse is the official authorized certifying agent for Fort Valley State University degree verifications.  Individuals, organizations or companies needing degree verifications from Fort Valley State University may do so through the National Student Clearinghouse at http://www.studentclearinghouse.org/.

Readmission of Former FVSU Students

Students who have attended another college or university since their last enrollment at Fort Valley State University, regardless of the length of time away from FVSU, must submit an application for readmission through the Registrar’s Office. Likewise, any former students whose attendance has been interrupted for one semester, excluding summer school, are required to complete and submit an application for readmission. The application for readmission is provided by the Registrar’s Office and should be returned to the Registrars’ Office once completed. Effective January 1, 2013, the $20.00 application fee is non-refundable. If you have any questions, please contact the Registrar’s Office at (478) 825-6282 or registrar1@fvsu.edu.

Readmission Application Deadline Dates:

  • Spring – December 1
  • Summer – April 15
  • Fall – June 15


A Dynamic Schedule is available on the Registrar’s Office webpage each semester. Classes are scheduled at a wide variety of times during the day, evening and weekends. Every effort is made to implement the current and future schedules as published, but circumstances such as staffing, funding, enrollment, and program changes may result in the cancellation of courses. The university reserves the right to cancel courses before and after registration.

Students registering in online courses must be admitted to the university. Students must seek approval from their academic advisor in order to register in online courses. Students must be competent at sending and receiving e-mails, navigating the Internet, and using Windows-based programs. Finally, students should be aware that taking online classes requires excellent time management skills.

Registration is mandatory for currently enrolled students before the start of the next semester.  Students must schedule an appointment and register for the upcoming semester with their academic advisor before the end of each semester.  The dates for early registration and fee payment deadlines are available on the academic calendar. 

Students are obligated to pay tuition and fees for all courses registered by the fee payment deadline.  Each semester, the academic calendar specifies the last day to register for classes or to make schedule changes.  Once registration has been completed, students must monitor their MyFVSU account and be responsible for knowing their enrollment status at the University. Students are instructed to monitor their academic and financial information that is posted in MyFVSU on a regular basis. Regular basis consists of after registering for classes, throughout the registration period, during the awarding and disbursement of financial aid, during the posting of mid-term grades and following the posting of final grades.

Students will be dropped for non-payment of fees each semester as posted on the academic calendar.  Students who have been dropped for non-payment will have exactly one business week (5 business days) in which to clear financial obligations for reinstatement.

Veteran Affairs 

Veterans and their dependents are welcome at Fort Valley State University.  Veteran refers to any Active Duty, Reserve, National Guard or Military Dependent student using GI Bill Benefits to attend Fort Valley State University.

Fort Valley State University has in place a School Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office. The School Certifying Official is responsible for coordinating between various Department of Defense and Veterans Administration agencies and to assist all students who are eligible for Veteran’s Education Benefits.

Veterans wishing to attend Fort Valley State University under any of the educational benefit programs provided by public law should apply for admission. Those who have never used their education benefits should apply for their Certificate of Eligibility (COE) at vets.gov (Explore Benefits link). Those who have previously used GI Bill Benefits must obtain their Letter of Remaining Benefits (LORB) from the VA. This can be accomplished in several ways:

  1. Each time a student is Certified to the VA that they are using their GI BILL Benefits, the VA will send a LORB to the student outlining the number of months and days of benefits they have used and have remaining.
  2. Online through their E-Benefits account.
  3. Online at www.benefits.va.gov (tab through: Education and Training, For Students, Get Started Home and Submit a Question),
  4. Written request to “Department of Veteran Affairs, PO Box 8888, Muskogee, OK  74402-8888
  5. Those transferring to Fort Valley State University who have used their GI BILL Benefits at other institutions must also submit VA Form 22-1995 for Military or VA Form 22-5495 for Military Dependents to change their Place of Training or program of study. Upon notification by the Admissions Office of their acceptance to Fort Valley State University, the Veteran should contact the School Certifying Official for further instructions.

General Information

  • Use of VA Education Benefits (GI bill) is accomplished only by the request of the student. Each student desiring to use his or her benefits must submit a Certification Request Package to the School Certifying Official each semester for the duration of their college enrollment at Fort Valley State University. Any student who has received benefits from Fort Valley State University and transfers to another Institute of Higher Learning must file a VA Form 22-1995 for Military or VA Form 22-5495 for Military Dependents with the School Certifying Official at the transfer institution to change the location of their supporting administrative unit.
  • Students may use their GI bill during any regular, mini or summer semester of study.
  • GI bill Benefits may be combined with Active Duty or Reserve Tuition Assistance Benefits if desired.
  • Students exercising Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607 GI bill benefits must certify their continued attendance monthly either online at benefits.va.gov/gibill/ or by telephone to the VA Regional Processing Office at 1-800-442-4551.
  • Students may only be certified for courses that apply to their formal and declared degree program.
  • Students receiving benefits are required to notify the School Certifying Official whenever they drop or add a course of instruction or if there is a change in their degree program. Failure to do so may lead to an overpayment of benefits. Repayment of any overpayment is the responsibility of the student.
  • If a passing grade is received for a course of instruction, the course may not be recertified in order to receive a better grade. However, if a failing grade is received or if the grade does not meet the minimum requirements of the degree program, the course of instruction may be certified and repeated once.
  • A normal, full-time academic load during fall or spring semesters is defined by the Provost’s Office as 12 semester hours for undergraduate and 9 hours for graduate students. The VA honors these parameters for payment of benefits. During the Summer Semesters, 12 hours undergraduate and 9 hours graduate is considered by the VA to be full time for benefits payment. Undergraduate and graduate students carrying less than a full load will not be certified at full-time.
  • Veterans who can show proof of successful completion of introductory military training (Boot Camp or a Commissioning source) are awarded credit for the 2 required hours of Core Curriculum physical fitness training.
  • A student desiring to use their GI Bill Benefits must submit a Request Package for that semester containing the following documents:
    • Benefits Request Form (available in the Military Resource Center)
    • VA Certificate of Eligibility [(COE)(initial package submission only) or VA Letter of Remaining Benefits (LORB)(each semester package submission after the initial)].
    • Student Schedule/Bill from their MyFVSU account.
    • Academic Map/balance sheet (1 time only or any time the course of study is changed).
    • Unofficial Transcript from their MyFVSU account.

Your first step is to make sure you are certified. For a first time student, the certification process takes 6 to 8 weeks. If you attended other institutions and used your VA benefits, you must provide transcripts from all schools attended. Make sure to maintain a 2.0 or higher grade point average.

Read further to find out what chapter applies to you and what you must submit. Please contact the Veterans Affairs Certifying Official by email at va@fvsu.edu or Fort Valley State University, C.V. Troup Administrative Building – Suite 102, Fort Valley, GA 31030. 478.822.1020

VA Chapters

If transferring from a college or institution form 22-1995 or 22-5495 (Chapter 35 ONLY) is also required.

Chapter 30 (Prior Active Duty)

  • The MGIB-AD program provides education benefits to Veterans and Service members who have at least two years of active duty. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. Items needed to start the process are:
    • Certificate Of Eligibility
    • DD-214
    • Balance Sheet
    • Application 22-1990
    • Academic Transcript
    • Admission Acceptance Letter
    • Student Bill

Chapter 35 (Using Parents Benefits)

  • Survivor and dependents educational assistance is an education benefits for eligible spouses and children of certain veterans. DEA provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a servicerelated condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence. Items needed to start the process are:
    • Certificate of Eligibility
    • Parents DD-214
    • Birth Certificate
    • Balance Sheet
    • Application 22-5490
    • Academic Transcript
    • Admission Acceptance Letter
    • Student Bill

Chapter 1606 (Reserve/ National Guard)

  • The Montgomery GI Bill selected reserve is an educational program that provided up to 36 months of education benefits to members of the selected reserve. Eligibility for this program is determined by the selected reserve components. VA makes the payments for this program. You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of education benefits. Items needed to start the process are:
    • DD-214
    • Form of eligibility 2384 (NOBE)
    • Balance Sheet
    • Application 22-1990
    • Admission Acceptance Letter
    • Academic Transcript
    • Student Bill

Chapter 1607 (Reserve Education Assistance Program)

  • REAP (Reserve Education Assistance Program) is a new education program that provides up to 36 months of education benefits to members of the selected reserves, individual ready reserve (IRR), and national guard, who are called or ordered to active service in response to a war or national emergency , as declared by the President or Congress.
    • DD-214
    • Form of eligibility 2384 (NOBE)
    • Balance Sheet
    • Application 22-1990
    • Admission Acceptance
    • Letter Academic Transcript
    • Student Bill

Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation Students)

  • The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) Vet Success Program is authorized by Congress under Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 31. It is sometimes referred to as the Chapter 31 program. The Vet Success program assists Veterans with service connected disability to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. For Veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, Vet Success offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible. Items needed to start the process:
    • Completed Form 28-1905
    • Admission Acceptance Letter
    • Balance Sheet
    • Student Bill

Chapter 33 (Survivor and Dependent Educational Assistance)

  • The Post-9/11 GI BILL is a new education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. You may be eligible if you served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001, and you are still on active duty or were honorably discharged.
    • Certificate of Eligibility
    • DD -214 or Parents DD -214
    • Form 22-1990 or Form 22-1990E
    • Balance Sheet
    • Academic Transcript
    • Student Bill
    • Acceptance Letter
    • Birth Certificate (If the student is a dependent)