Jun 23, 2024  
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog 
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog

Registrar’s Office

Sharee’ J. Lawrence, Registrar
134 C. V. Troup Administration Building

Mission and Philosophy Statement

The Office of the Registrar staff are crossed-trained to assist students with all matters regarding enrollment to the University. The Office of the Registrar supports the instructional demands and the student academic endeavors of the University by providing quality services to students, faculty, academic and administrative departments, and our external customers.  Quality is the first priority for the Office of the Registrar and efficiency is key to that quality. The Office of the Registrar puts a premium on service and will continually strive to improve our services.

In support of the University’s philosophy, student centered, the Office of the Registrar provides leadership in maintaining and protecting academic records.  The Office of the Registrar is a customer centered organization whose mission is to preserve academic integrity; ensure adherence to academic policy; safeguard the security of academic records; provide course and classroom management and provide student information and data reporting for internal and external constituencies of the University. The Office does this in a diverse environment utilizing advanced technology and a legacy of commitment in order to create, apply and disseminate knowledge.

Other functions associated with the Registrar’s Office include, but are not limited to:

•End-of-term grading process

•Processing of grade changes

•Publication and dissemination of semester course offerings

•Complete academic calendar

•Certifying Veteran Educational Benefits

•Enrollment and degree verification

•Transcript processing

•Create and distribute official university diplomas

Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm


MyFVSU gives students at Fort Valley State University the ability to access their personal and academic information via the internet. Students are able to view grades, transcripts, degree requirements, schedules, holds, account balances, financial aid information and much more.

Transcript Request

Fort Valley State University has retained Parchment to accept transcript orders via the Internet. Please click on the Parchment link below to enter your order. If you are uncomfortable placing an order over the Internet, you can call Parchment at 847-716-3005, however, there is an additional surcharge for placing orders over the telephone.

Also, you may visit the Registrar’s Office web page for instructions on requesting and paying for transcripts online at https://www.fvsu.edu/about-fvsu/transcripts.


As grades become available for the mid-term and the end of the semester, students are able to access through MyFVSU. If a grade is unavailable at the initial check, continue to check on a regular basis. Once all grades have been reported students will retrieve their grade point averages and academic standing through the web. Please note that grade reports, academic probation/suspension/dismissal letters are not mailed, your status is available online. Academic Suspension/Academic Dismissal will not be waived due to a student’s lack of knowledge of his or her standing. It is the responsibility of the student to know his or her academic standing, which can be accessed via MyFVSU. Students who fail to check their grades or academic status are not exempt by not knowing. An academic appeal is not in conjunction with a financial aid appeal. You may retrieve a copy of the financial aid appeal from the FVSU Website or for additional details please contact the Financial Aid Office at 478-825-6363.

Enrollment/Degree Verifications

Fort Valley State University has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to act as an agent to provide enrollment and degree verifications.

Enrollment Verifications

The National Student Clearinghouse is the official authorized certifying agent for Fort Valley State University enrollment verifications.  The Office of the Registrar cannot verify enrollment until registration activities have been finalized each semester.  A current official enrollment certificate is available to a student through his/her MyFVSU around the second week of school.  All previous enrollments at the university are also available. 

To obtain an enrollment certificate, a student should log into his/her MyFVSU account and follow the links below to gain access to the National Student Clearinghouse website.

•        Student Services

•        Student Records

•        National Student Clearinghouse Student Self-Service

•        National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) website

•        Obtain an Enrollment Certificate

A certificate for military purposes will continue to be prepared in the Registrar’s Office.

New students are eligible for a “good student” letter at the end of their first semester of attendance.  GPA will be available two weeks after a new students’ first semester.

Degree Verifications 

The National Student Clearinghouse is the official authorized certifying agent for Fort Valley State University degree verifications.  Individuals, organizations or companies needing degree verifications from Fort Valley State University may do so through the National Student Clearinghouse at http://www.studentclearinghouse.org/.

Readmission of Former FVSU Students

Students who have attended another college or university since their last enrollment at Fort Valley State University, regardless of the length of time away from FVSU, must submit an application for readmission through the Registrar’s Office. Likewise, any former students whose attendance has been interrupted for one semester, excluding summer school, are required to complete and submit an application for readmission. The application for readmission is provided by the Registrar’s Office and should be returned to the Registrars’ Office once completed. Effective January 1, 2013, the $20.00 application fee is non-refundable. If you have any questions, please contact the Registrar’s Office at (478) 825-6282 or registrar1@fvsu.edu.

Readmission Application Deadline Dates:

  • Spring – December 1
  • Summer – April 15
  • Fall – June 15


A Dynamic Schedule is available on the Registrar’s Office webpage each semester. Classes are scheduled at a wide variety of times during the day, evening and weekends. Every effort is made to implement the current and future schedules as published, but circumstances such as staffing, funding, enrollment, and program changes may result in the cancellation of courses. The university reserves the right to cancel courses before and after registration.

Students registering in online courses must be admitted to the university. Students must seek approval from their academic advisor in order to register in online courses. Students must be competent at sending and receiving e-mails, navigating the Internet, and using Windows-based programs. Finally, students should be aware that taking online classes requires excellent time management skills.

Registration is mandatory for currently enrolled students before the start of the next semester.  Students must schedule an appointment and register for the upcoming semester with their academic advisor before the end of each semester.  The dates for early registration and fee payment deadlines are available on the academic calendar. 

Students are obligated to pay tuition and fees for all courses registered by the fee payment deadline.  Each semester, the academic calendar specifies the last day to register for classes or to make schedule changes.  Once registration has been completed, students must monitor their MyFVSU account and be responsible for knowing their enrollment status at the University. Students are instructed to monitor their academic and financial information that is posted in MyFVSU on a regular basis. Regular basis consists of after registering for classes, throughout the registration period, during the awarding and disbursement of financial aid, during the posting of mid-term grades and following the posting of final grades.

Students will be dropped for non-payment of fees each semester as posted on the academic calendar.  Students who have been dropped for non-payment will have exactly one business week (5 business days) in which to clear financial obligations for reinstatement.

Evaluation of Transfer Credits

Fort Valley State University will accept college level work from accredited colleges and universities with a grade of “C” or better. Transfer credits from non-accredited institutions are not accepted. Upon admissions to the university, an evaluation of acceptable transfer credits will be completed. Once the evaluation has been finalized, an email notification will be submitted to the student and their academic advisor.

Transient Students

Transient students are students who are not seeking a degree but who would like to enroll for a semester at Fort Valley State University and transfer their credit(s) back to their home institution. Students enrolled at another college or university may take courses at Fort Valley State University and have credits for approved classes transferred to their home institutions.

Documentation needed for admission of transient students includes:

  • Transient approval from the Registrar of the home institution;
  • Application for admission to Fort Valley State University along with a $20.00 application fee;
  • Immunization record
  • List of courses for which approval has been granted.

Students who have been academically suspended from their home institutions are not eligible to enroll at Fort Valley State University during their period of suspension.

Forward completed information to the Office of the Registrar, 1005 State University Drive, Fort Valley, Georgia  31030.

Veteran Affairs

Veterans and their dependents are welcome at Fort Valley State University.  Veteran refers to any Active Duty, Reserve, National Guard or Military Dependent student using GI Bill Benefits to attend Fort Valley State University.

Fort Valley State University has in place a School Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office. The School Certifying Official is responsible for coordinating between various Department of Defense and Veterans Administration agencies and to assist all students who are eligible for Veteran’s Education Benefits.

Veterans wishing to attend Fort Valley State University under any of the educational benefit programs provided by public law should apply for admission. Those who have never used their education benefits should apply for their Certificate of Eligibility (COE) at VA.gov (Explore Benefits link). Those who have previously used GI Bill Benefits must submit a current Certificate of Eligibility from the VA. This can be accomplished in several ways:


  1. Online through their E-Benefits account.
  2. Online at www.benefits.va.gov (tab through: Education and Training, For Students, Get Started Home and Submit a Question),
  3. Written request to “Department of Veteran Affairs, PO Box 8888, Muskogee, OK  74402-8888
  4. Upon notification by the Admissions Office of their acceptance to Fort Valley State University, the Veteran should contact the School Certifying Official for further instructions. Those transferring to Fort Valley State University and are using their GI BILL Benefits must submit the Request for Benefits form through MyFVSU Apps. 

General Information

  • Use of VA Education Benefits (GI bill) is accomplished only by the request of the student. Each student desiring to use his or her benefits must submit a Certification Request Package to the School Certifying Official each semester for the duration of their college enrollment at Fort Valley State University.  
  • Students may use their GI bill during any regular, mini or summer semester of study.
  • GI bill Benefits may be combined with Active Duty or Reserve Tuition Assistance Benefits if applicable.
  • Students exercising Chapter 33 GI bill benefits must certify their continued attendance monthly either online at www.VA.gov or by telephone to the VA Education Call Center at 1-888-442-4551.
  • Students may only be certified for courses that apply to their formal and declared degree program.
  • Students receiving benefits are required to notify the School Certifying Official whenever they drop or add a course of instruction or if there is a change in their degree program. Failure to do so may lead to an overpayment of benefits. Repayment of any overpayment is the responsibility of the student.
  • If a passing grade is received for a course of instruction, the course may not be recertified in order to receive a better grade. However, if a failing grade is received or if the grade does not meet the minimum requirements of the degree program, the course of instruction may be certified and repeated once.
  • A normal, full-time academic load during fall or spring semesters is defined by the Provost’s Office as 12 semester hours for undergraduate and 9 hours for graduate students. The VA honors these parameters for payment of benefits. During the Summer Semesters, 12 hours undergraduate and 9 hours graduate is considered by the VA to be full time for benefits payment. Undergraduate and graduate students carrying less than a full load will not be certified at full-time.
  • Veterans who can show proof of successful completion of introductory military training (Boot Camp or a Commissioning source) are awarded credit for the 2 required hours of Core Curriculum physical fitness training.
  • A student desiring to use their GI Bill Benefits must submit a Request Package for that semester containing the following documents:
    • Benefits Request Form (located in MyFVSU Apps- FVSU-VA)
    • VA Certificate of Eligibility [(COE)(initial package submission only) 
    • Student Detailed Schedule from their MyFVSU account.
    • Academic Map/balance sheet (1 time only or any time the course of study is changed).


After acceptance, your next step is to submit the Request for Benefits. For a first-time student, the certification process takes 6 to 8 weeks. If you attended other institutions and used your VA benefits, you must provide transcripts from all schools attended. Make sure to maintain a 2.0 or higher grade point average.

Read further to find out what chapter you may be eligible for and what you must submit. All eligibility requirements for VA benefits can be found at www.VA.gov.  Please contact the Veterans Affairs Certifying Official by email at va@fvsu.edu or Fort Valley State University, C.V. Troup Administrative Building – Suite 102, Fort Valley, GA 31030. 478.822.1020


VA Chapters

If transferring from a college or institution form 22-1995 or 22-5495 (Chapter 35 ONLY) is also required.

Chapter 30 (Montgomery- MGIB-AD)

  • The MGIB-AD program provides education benefits to Veterans and Service members who have at least two years of active duty. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. Items needed to start the process are:
    • Certificate Of Eligibility
    • Academic Map/Balance Sheet
    • Joint Service Transcript
    • Academic Transcripts
    • Admission Acceptance Letter


Chapter 35 (Dependents Education Assistance)

  • Survivor and dependents educational assistance is an education benefit for eligible spouses and children of certain veterans. DEA provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. Payments are made to the student. Items needed to start the process are:
    • Certificate of Eligibility
    • Academic Map/Balance Sheet
    • Academic Transcript
    • Admission Acceptance Letter


Chapter 1606 (Montgomery-MGIB-SR)

  • The Montgomery GI Bill selected reserve is an educational program that provides up to 36 months of education benefits to members of the selected reserve. Eligibility for this program is determined by the selected reserve components. VA makes the payments for this program to the student. You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of education benefits. Payments are made to the student. Items needed to start the process are:
    • Joint Service Transcript
    • Form of eligibility 2384 (NOBE)
    • Academic Map/Balance Sheet
    • Admission Acceptance Letter
    • Academic Transcripts


Chapter 31 (Veterans Readiness and Employment)

  • The Veterans Readiness and Employment (VR&E) Program is authorized by Congress under Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 31. It is sometimes referred to as the Chapter 31 program. Tuition is paid directly to the university. Items needed to start the process are:
    • Authorization form- from VR&E Counselor
    • Admission Acceptance Letter
    • Academic Map/Balance Sheet
    • Academic Transcripts
    • Joint Service Transcript

Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill)

  • The Post-9/11 GI BILL is an education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. Tuition is paid directly to the university. Items needed to start the process are:
    • Certificate of Eligibility
    • Academic Map/Balance Sheet
    • Academic Transcripts
    • Joint Service Transcript
    • Admission Acceptance Letter