Jul 18, 2024  
2022-2023 Graduate Catalog 
2022-2023 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Graduate Admissions

General Admission

Admission requirements changes periodically in response to mandates by the University System of Georgia Board of Regents (USG) or Fort Valley State University. Prospective students are encouraged to check Graduate Studies website for updates on the general admission process and to check the program of interest for program-specific updates.

In order to be considered for graduate admissions at Fort Valley State University, applicants must hold at least a bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited college or university and must meet other program admission requirements.

Applicants who are currently in the last semester of undergraduate work when applying will be evaluated based on their completed academic work and their current course enrollment. Formal admissions decisions for these students cannot be made until their degree is conferred.

How to Apply for a Graduate Program

Application materials may be obtained from Graduate Programs website at www.fvsu.edu. Departments and schools in which graduate degree programs are offered set requirements to complete an application. All application documents, including official test score reports, letters of recommendation and other required supporting documents should be received in the Office of Admissions by the stated application deadline date for the application to receive admission review.  The applicant must submit a transcript from each college or university previously attended. All application documents become the property of Fort Valley State University and may not be forwarded to a third party or returned to the applicant. The applicant must indicate if he/she is applying for graduate degree program, certificate program, non-degree or transient admission, and must indicate a specific graduate major area study that is offered at Fort Valley State University.

Application documents are electronically available to the academic departments for their review and recommendation.

International Students

FVSU welcomes students from other countries. The presence of international students fosters cultural exchange, which can be beneficial to the student body and to the community at large. International students should complete the Application for Graduate Admissions. Prospective students are advised to consult with the Designated School Official for the Student Exchange Visitor Program SEVP for the most recent requirements regarding financial statements, I-20 and visa forms, resident status, health insurance requirements and employment restrictions.

International students must pay non-resident fees unless such fees are waived. Fee waivers are awarded based upon availability after an admission decision has been rendered.

Applicants who native language is not English must submit TOEFL or IELTS scores. Minimum acceptable scores on the TOEFL are 550 on the paper version; 213 on the computer version; 79 on the Internet version; or 6.5 on the IELTS. The requirement is waived for international students who have received a degree from a regionally-accredited institution in the U.S. or from institutions in countries where English is the primary language.

International students are required to report to the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) - Designated School Officials (DSO) within three days of their arrival and have their passports, I-20, and Arrival-Departure Records photocopied and placed in the admission files. This procedure is required by the United State Immigration and Customs Enforcement (USICE) and facilitates the replacement of lost documents.

Because of restrictions enacted by Homeland Security, international candidates must be issued an F-1 visa by FVSU to enter the U.S. to attend school and may not apply for completely online programs.


Applicants must include an official transcript from each institution of higher education previously attended as part of the application process. Transfer credit(s) appearing on a transcript cannot be accepted in lieu of an original transcript from the institution where the course work was taken. 

Official transcripts should be mailed directly to Fort Valley State University and addressed to:


Fort Valley State University

Office of Graduate Studies

1005 State University Drive

Fort Valley, Georgia 31030


Official transcripts submitted electronically should be emailed to graduatestudies@fvsu.edu

Final Transcripts

In order to ensure sufficient time for processing, official copies of final transcripts reflecting degrees awarded should be submitted prior to the application or at least ten working days prior to the start of the intended term of enrollment. Formal admission decisions cannot be made until a final transcript with the degree conferred is received by Graduate Studies.

International Transcripts

International transcripts must have foreign course-by-course credential evaluation by an independent evaluation service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES). The evaluation must be sent directly from the agency to Graduate Studies and must state a cumulative overall grade point average and certify a degree was awarded from the equivalency of a regionally accredited institution to be considered for admission.

Complete listing of NACES members is online at www.naces.org. The Georgia Professional Standards Commission (PSC) does not recognize evaluations from World Education Services (WES). For more details on agencies accepted by the PSC, review the PSC website at www.gapsc.com.

Certificate of Immunization

The FVSU Certificate of Immunization, a Board of Regents’ policy and institutional policy, is required of all new students. If the applicant attended the university in the past either as an undergraduate or graduate student, varicella (chicken pox) is required for all U.S. born students in 1980 or later and is required for all foreign-born students regardless of year born. Proof of a tetanus booster within the last ten years is also required for all return students.

Several health professional-related graduate programs at FVSU require separate immunization forms with additional immunization requirements beyond what is required by the university.

Student E-mail Policy

Upon admission to the Fort Valley State University, students are provided with an email account, which is the official channel of communication between the university and its students. It is the responsibility of the student to periodically monitor his/her student email account and be aware of the information sent by the university. Students are expected to check their email on a frequent and consistent basis in order to stay current with university-related communications. Students have the responsibility to recognize that certain communications may be time critical.

Failure in the proper management of email accounts is not an acceptable excuse for missing official university communications via email and will not excuse students from complying with university policies, procedures, and/or deadlines and will not be considered grounds for appeal for relief from those policies, procedures, and deadlines. As a steward of this process, the Office of Information Technology is responsible for directing the use of all student official email.

Minimum Admission Requirements and Categories

All applicants must hold at least a baccalaureate degree or the equivalent from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university or a degree from a non-U.S. institution of higher education that is judged equivalent to a U.S. baccalaureate degree by the university. International applicants who have graduated from a college or university will be considered for admission to a graduate degree program. Requirements for individual programs are often more rigorous than those established by the Graduate Council. Please review the individual program’s website for additional specific program requirements.

Any applicant who seeks admission to a graduate degree program is said to be applying as a graduate degree-seeking student. All other graduate applicants are said to be applying as graduate non-degree-seeking students.

 Applicants must be admitted to a Graduate Program before they are eligible to register for classes. Only students formally admitted to a Graduate Program are eligible to enroll in graduate courses (courses numbered 5000, 6000). Official admission acceptance is conveyed to the applicant in a formal letter issued by the program chair or coordinator.

Categories for Graduate Admissions

  1. Regular Admission: Applicants may be granted regular admission to a graduate program if they have:
  • Satisfied minimum admission criteria setup for each program.
  • A minimum GPA of 2.75 or higher as determined by an individual program.

All graduate students with regular admission should adhere to Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Financial Aid Recipients.  Only graduate students with regular admission status will be eligible for graduate assistantships.


  2. Provisional Admission: Applicants who do not fully meet the requirements for regular admission may be considered for provisional admission. The following criteria must be met in addition to admission requirements for regular admission.

  • An undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university with related major in, or prerequisites for the program of study, where applicable.
  • A minimum GPA of 2.5 on all coursework.
  • Students provisionally admitted must have a 3.00 GPA at the end of nine earned credit hours or enrollment is terminated from the Graduate School.


  3. Non-Degree Admission: Individuals wishing to enroll for job-related requirements or personal enrichment but who are not seeking a degree, and students who are not eligible for regular admission or provisional admission may be admitted for non-degree admission. The following criteria must be met:

  • Non-degree seeking students must have a GPA of 2.75 or higher as determined by individual program.
  • Student will choose a specific graduate program to be evaluated by and, if accepted, would be assigned an advisor within that program.

Students can take up to five courses and if the overall GPA is dropped below 3.00 anytime during non-degree tenure, student will not be able to continue taking courses.

Students admitted under non-degree status are not eligible for financial aid.

Graduate Application Process

Applicants are responsible for submitting all materials required for admission. These items include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • application for admission and application-processing fee
  • professional resume or curriculum vitae: This document should summarize your education, academic achievements, work history, and professional accomplishments. It may also include a list of skills, publications, research experiences, and other credentials that demonstrate your preparedness for graduate study.
  • statement of purpose: the statement should be one to two pages and single spaced. It should briefly discuss: your purposes and objectives in pursuing graduate study; your special interests and plans; your strengths and weaknesses in your chosen field; and any research projects or any independent research in which you have actively participated and how they have influenced your career choice and desire to pursue graduate studies.
  • Letters of recommendation (three from teachers, professors or employers)

Letters of recommendation must be submitted using the recommendation form provided on the Graduate Programs website.

  • transcripts from each post-secondary institutions attended (transcript must be received from the institution, copies issued to student or that are unofficial are not an acceptable credential for admission.  The transcript must shows all degrees earned with a degree conferral date, all coursework and grades earned.
  • standardized exam scores (score reports must be received from the testing agency; student score reports are not accepted)
  • any supplemental materials required by the department or program
  • international transcripts:  transcripts from educational institutions outside of the United States must be evaluated by a current member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Service (NACES) with a course-by-course evaluation and grade point average (GPA) included.  The transcript must be received directly from the evaluation service/agency.

All application materials, unless otherwise specified, should be submitted to the graduate program of study. Those application materials not available for electronic submission can be submitted in hard-copy format to the graduate program of study prior to the deadline.

An applicant wishing to defer an application to a subsequent semester may submit a one-time request to the graduate program of study, as long as the request occurs prior to the start of the original semester of matriculation has begun. The applicant must submit a new application and application fee to defer an application to a future semester. Deferred applications are referred to the department for reconsideration and a new admissions recommendation.

A graduate program may refuse admission to applicant whose files are incomplete after the beginning of the semester of expected matriculation and when the applicants have not requested deferrals. All material submitted become the property of the University and cannot be returned or forwarded elsewhere.

Application Deadlines-Graduate Programs

Application deadlines vary by program and are specific to a given semester to which each program admits applicants. Application deadlines are also subject to change. Therefore, applicants are encouraged to check the application deadline for the program in which they are interested at www.fvsu.edu.

All items required for admission must be received by the published deadline. International applicants should apply significantly in advance of the deadline to allow time for the arrival of any admission items via international mail. For those programs with rolling admission, in general, priority deadlines are specified below:


U.S. Citizens/Naturalized Citizens

Fall Semester

June 1

Spring Semester

November 1

Summer Semester

April 1


International Students

Fall Semester

May 1

Spring Semester

October 1

Summer Semester

March 1


Admission to the Graduate Education is competitive. Applicants are encouraged to submit application materials by the Priority Deadline. Priority is for seeking financial aid, scholarships, and assistantships. Applications received after the Final Deadline may be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Transfer Credit

A graduate student may transfer graduate credit from a regionally accredited institution for up to fifteen (15) subject to the approval of the program and Academic Dean.

  • The institution offers the graduate degree program for which the student has been admitted at Fort Valley State University. (Not required for transfer of ACE transcript credit.)
  • An official transcript is sent directly to the program from the institution in which the graduate work was taken.
  • The credit was earned no more than 7 years prior to the date of completion of the graduate degree.
  • The student’s advisor or major professor has to approve the transfer credit as a part of the student’s approved program of study.
  • A student pursuing a graduate degree at Fort Valley State University who plans to take graduate courses at another institution as a transient student must complete a Transient Permission Form, which must be approved by the advisor or major professor prior to enrolling in the transient courses. This procedure insures that courses taken as a transient student at another institution will constitute a part of the planned program of study. Students who take courses without prior approval are doing so with the possibility that the course may not count in the degree program.
  • A degree candidate may not graduate at the end of a term in which (s)he is enrolled as a transient student at another institution.
  • No grade lower than a “B” in a course earned at another institution may be accepted in transfer credit to count toward a graduate degree at Fort Valley State University.

Graduate Transient Admission

Students who are currently enrolled in a graduate program at another university may take courses at Fort Valley State University as a transient student. To be admitted as a transient student, the student must submit an application (selecting “Graduate Transient” status), and a certificate of good standing from the appropriate official from the home institution or a current transcript. A student is admitted under this classification for one semester only and must be readmitted under this classification each subsequent semester in transient status.

Admission by Appeal

Applicants who believe they were unfairly or arbitrarily denied admission may appeal the admission decision. The student will be required to provide additional information in support of the appeal. The request for an appeal must be submitted in writing to the Academic Dean for which the program is housed.


To expedite application processing and provide timely information, the Office of Graduate Studies will communicate with applicants primarily by email, unless email correspondence is not possible. Notification of admissions decisions will be by official letter (electronically) from the program for which the student is applying.

Applicants are encouraged to provide a web-based email address that will remain valid regardless of changes made in the internet provider services. Email addresses that are provided by applicants will be used only for the purpose of carrying out admissions business. Important: Email accounts need to have adequate memory; and message filters need to be set appropriately to be sure that messages are not filtered from your mailbox before you can view them. Applicants should check email messages frequently.

Changes to Application

Applicants who wish to change their desired term, program, or major following submission of an application may do so in some circumstances. Applicants are permitted one update or change per application. Subsequent changes in term, program, or major will require a new application and application fee.

Admitted applicants should be aware that any offer of admission is valid for that semester only (as notated in official acceptance letter). Admitted applicants who do not begin taking courses for the semester they are admitted must contact the program of study to request a change in the semester prior to the admission deadline of that semester. Deferment of admission is not guaranteed and will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Change of Degree Program

Before an enrolled student can transfer from one degree to another, the student must apply in writing for admission to the new degree program and must satisfy all of the original conditions of admission to the new degree program. Applications must be submitted in accordance with the “Admissions Policies” stated in this catalog.

Questions regarding transfer of credits and residency status to the new degree program will be resolved according to the existing academic standards of the new program.

Retention of Records

All documents and materials submitted for a graduate application at Fort Valley State University become the property of the University and will not be returned.

If an applicant does not complete enrollment for the semester in which admission is sought, the application must be renewed and the School of Graduate Studies may request submission of such additional credentials and information as will be required. Incomplete application files are retained for a maximum of one year. A student who earns credit in a master’s–level program and later becomes inactive will be required to reestablish his or her file. Application records for students who enroll are retained for a period of seven years from the date of last enrollment. The Office of the Registrar will maintain a transcript of graduate credit earned at Fort Valley State University indefinitely.


To enter a concentration offered by a graduate program, a student must already be admitted as a graduate student to Fort Valley State University.

Thesis Requirement

A thesis is required for the Master of Science in Animal Science degree, and it is an option for the Master of Public Health, Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling and Master of Science in Rehabilitation Counseling and Case Management degrees. Furthermore, a thesis is required for the Master of Science in Biotechnology with Animal and Plant Biotechnology options and can be an option for the Master of Science in Biotechnology with the Applied Biotechnology option.

Those graduate students who opt for a thesis are encouraged to focus on a subject for thesis research early in their candidacy. With the help of his/her academic advisor, each student must choose three or more advisors as a thesis committee by the time 18 hours of graduate study have been completed. At least one of these advisors must be a faculty member in the student’s graduate degree program option. The graduate program department head / coordinator should approve the three advisors chosen for this purpose, with final approval from the Academic Dean.

A student would only register for thesis credit (see appropriate listing) following the program coordinator’s receiving official notification from the student’s thesis advisors. If at any time the student wishes to change the constitution of the thesis committee, a request stating the reason for the change must be submitted in writing to the program coordinator and complete the Graduate Advisory committee Appointment Form for change of committee and the change must be approved by the Academic Dean and filed with the Office of Graduate Studies. If a thesis committee member requests to be removed from the committee, a substitute must be approved by the graduate program department head with the final approval from the Academic Dean.

A student who has received an “in progress” grade on the thesis and has completed all other requirements is required to enroll and pay the required fees for three credit hours in any subsequent semester that he/she returns to remove the “in progress” grade. Such students are ineligible for thesis consultations and use of library facilities during any interim period when they are not officially enrolled.

Change of Admission Status/Major Programs

Students must complete an application for admission to a new program whenever there is a desire to change fields. This form must be signed by all designated individuals.

Post Baccalaureate

  1. Post-baccalaureate study allows individuals with an undergraduate degree to take undergraduate courses for enrichment purposes or students who must take course work required for admission into graduate or professional level (certification) programs.
  2. The hours do not count toward a degree.
  3. Students must apply through the undergraduate Admissions Office.

Fee Assessment

Any student placed in the “GS” level of the information system will be charged at the graduate student rate. The student should be mindful that fees are assessed according to “level” in our current information management system. A student enrolling in an online graduate level course will be charged the e-tuition graduate rate.

Standardized Test Scores

The institution accepts scores from the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and, in some cases, other exams such as the GMAT, MCAT or others. Standardized test scores are valid for a period of 7 years from the date the test was taken.

Senior Citizens - In compliance with the provisions of the Georgia Constitution Amendment 23, persons 62 years of age or older may enroll on a “space available basis” as regular or auditing students in university courses offered for resident credit, without payment of matriculation fees. Students enrolling in this status must pay for supplies and laboratory or shop fees. To be eligible for enrollment, such persons must be residents of Georgia and be 62 years of age or older at the time of enrollment as verified by a submitted birth certificate or other comparable written documentation. Proof of age is required to enable the institution to determine the person’s eligibility to enroll. Applicants must meet all System and institution undergraduate or graduate requirements.

Readmission Requirements - Students who have attended another college or university since their last enrollment as graduate students at Fort Valley State University, regardless of the length of time away from FVSU, must submit an application for readmission through the Office of the Registrar. Likewise, any former students whose attendance has been interrupted for one semester, excluding summer school, are required to complete and submit an application for readmission. The application for readmission must be received in the Registrar’s Office at least 20 days prior to the beginning date for the semester in which enrollment is desired. The application form for readmission is provided by the Office of the Registrar and should be returned to the Registrar’s Office when completed.

Military Veteran Students. An individual who has served in the United States Armed Forces may be admitted as a veteran student. The applicant is, however, subject to the regular or non-traditional admissions requirements, whichever is most appropriate to their background. The University grants credit to such an applicant according to the recommendations listed in “A Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services,” published by the American Council on Education.

Veteran Students - To enable veterans to apply for formal educational programs leading to the award of a degree, the University System is able to grant academic credit according to the recommendations listed in A Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services, which is published by the American Council on Education. The following guidelines and requirements are set for students who receive Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Benefits under Provisions of Chapter 30, 31, 32, or 35, Title 38, or Chapter 106, Title 10, U.S. Code. Failure to comply with these guidelines may result in the termination of benefits.

Any student expecting to receive VA Educational Benefits is required to enroll with the VA Certifying Official prior to the close of registration for a given semester. VA benefits are provided for courses of study which have been noted on VA Form 22-1990 or 22- 5490. Students will not be certified to receive VA Benefits for courses of study not identified on this form. A veteran (or his/her dependent) desiring to change his/her major, must, for VA purposes, complete VA Form 22-1995 or 22-5490 (which may be obtained from the VA Certifying Official) and submit it to the Veterans Administration; a copy of the form must also be filed with the Veterans Affairs Officer (VA Certifying Official) on campus. If the student has received pay for the number of required elective courses, he/she will not be eligible to receive VA funds for his/her enrollment in additional elective courses except by written consent of the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Eligible veterans may receive equivalent credit for physical education activity courses upon presentation of a copy of separation papers (DD-214) to the Office of the Registrar. Still, a veteran has the option to enroll in these activity courses without receiving equivalent credit, if desired. The veteran’s JST military transcript will be assessed by the department his or her major is housed in in order for credit to be applied towards graduation where possible. Once credit is awarded for these courses based on military service, they may not be taken as electives. Independent study courses are not approved for VA Benefits. Veterans are also limited in terms of the number of hours that may be attempted in remedial courses. The VA Certifying Official’s office is 102 Hubbard Education building.

Veteran students, active military and reserves should contact the FVSU Veterans Affairs Certifying Official in Suite 102 C.V. Troup Administration Building. Call 478-822-1020 or send an email to va@fvsu.edu, if additional support is needed.